What is contributing to food waste?
- cosmetic standards not met
- buying too much, cooking too much
- untouched food
- poor storage of food
- wasted resources on producing the food → greenhouse gas emissions
- food waste is incorrectly disposed of into garbage bins and end up in landfills
- what is the biggest contributing factor to food waste?
- better marketing for imperfect looking produce
- shift in a culture of overeating and overconsumption
City of Toronto – Food Waste
Food waste hierarchy framework
Canada Food Loss Waste Report